Sunday, February 21, 2016

Sewing with Stylearc Patterns

I am enjoying clothes sewing lately. I think it's an example of success making me feel more confident with what I am doing.

I have made a blue cotton Courtney Top which I wore to school one day last week. I did some top stitching on this one.



After enjoying that process and the outcome, I sent away for the Mary Shift Dress pattern and visited The Fabric Shop outlet in Otara. I haven't ever used a border print fabric before. Not sure what the rules are, but I cut this dark grey dress across the width of the fabric.



That version went well, so I made a second version out of some silk I bought at The Fabric Store in Newton Rd. They were having a sale last weekend. This is the fabric I referred to in an earlier post - I wondered if I would look a bit like a tablecloth wearing this big of a check! Anyway, this time I made the sleeves in a contrasting black fabric as per the pattern. I quite like that effect. I also added one pocket - not sure I love that look.



I am feeling quite pleased with both these efforts. I have one more dress length of fabric and one more top length. I will probably make another Courtney Top and maybe try out a Toni Designer Dress - a pattern I bought a year or so ago and haven't ever used!

3 comments:

  1. Love them, I want to pair them with bright red beads, and red shoes :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that dress Karyn. I want to make some clothes this year too, I have patterns ready, so best I pay a visit to Otara soonish for some fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your fabric choices! I'm always wanting to make simple shift dresses like that but I know in my heart of hearts they just don't suit me (make my bust look monolithic and my shoulders like a linebacker's). Maybe if I accessorised them like you have they'd work...

    ReplyDelete